07 Aug 8 Things needed for starting an online store
I have enlisted below 8 things needed for starting an online store.
- Choose a platform carefully: For creating an online store, you will need an e-Commerce self-hosted platform. Choose a system that is well supported, popular, have a good community behind it, and produces excellent looking shops. If you want to avoid any contact with the code, then go for a hosted platform like Magento, Word Press with WooCommerce plugin or Shopify with options for number of products.
- Optimize your website: Customers will face difficulty and loss of time if the loading speed of the page is slow. If you are using WordPress, Magento or any another self-hosted system, optimizing the page load speed is very much essential.
- Give unique content: As an online store, if you are selling themes, plugins or extensions on your website, write good description of the products. Check out your competition, learn about their strategies, how they are designing their websites and selling their products, etc. Find out what more you can offer to the customers.
- SEO: you should pay special attention to SEO. Unlike bloggers who post hundreds of words of unique content daily, eCommerce site are not like that. Keep product description short and give unique url to them having appropriate alt tags to the images. Avoid duplicate url. Keep the website indexed as there will be many products.
- Use Social media: The moment you decide to set up an online store, you have to be socially active. The website should be well-known and popular in order to attract target customers. Mention your twitter, Facebook, Google plus with other relevant links on your website. As a new seller, you have neither brand, nor you can do cost cutting. You have to write high quality posts, link to your own products, share your expertise. Write page content from the point of view of the customers.
- Build a proper hosting domain and shopping platform: A good web host for your online commerce website will have a long-standing record of reliability, security and uptime. Failure to do so will lead to trouble in the course of time. There are many shopping carts and plugins available to power your e-commerce store. You may opt for a shopping cart or a full store platform. Carefully choose what kind of store you’ll run, how you want to process payments, your shipping options and what specific functions you want to be included.
- Develop a backup plan: You should back up your online ecommerce website and database on a regular basis in case of a technological disaster. It is very much essential for you to make it a priority as your livelihood is at stake.
- Check and recheck: Lastly, double check your website for any errors. Proofread the website, check all the links of products are working or not, check the contact us and social link page.