04 Aug Setting up a Magento website for free
Magento is the Number 1 eCommerce platform which offers flexible, scalable eCommerce solutions designed to help you grow and succeed online. It is a cost effective platform which makes it possible to control the content, functionality, look and feel of your online store. Magento is an open-source content management system for e-commerce web sites. If you want to create a new Magento theme, it requires proper knowledge before you can customize Magento. But you should know how to install the theme soon after successful download. If there is a theme available in Magento Connect (it has a good collection of free & premium themes) then you can install it very easily without any technical knowledge.
Setting up a Magento website is easy. There are two ways to install a Magento theme
- Install via Magento Connect
- Install via placing appropriate theme template folders in your Magento Installation.
How to install a Magento theme via Magento Connect
- To install this theme into your Magento store you need to login to your store admin panel and go to System->Magento Connect->Magento Connect Manager.
- Select the theme by browsing the huge Magento theme archive in Magento Connect.
- You will see a button right under the theme image called “Get Extension Key”. You need to click “Get Extension Key” and agree to extension license agreement.
- Select agree check box and click “Get Extension Key” you will see the Magento extension key right there itself. Paste this extension key in your store’s Magento connect tab.
- You’ll see “Theme successfully installed” message. Go to System->Configuration->Design->Themes and provide the theme name in Default field (which will change your default theme to this new theme) and click “Save Config” button at the top right corner of your screen.
- Go to CMS->Manage Pages. You will notice that there are two different layouts for the home page. Enable it or disable it as per your choice.
How to install by placing appropriate theme template folders in your Magento Installation
- Uncompress the zip file containing theme templates.
- Copy entire app folder of your new theme under Your_Magento_Installation/app/design/frontend/default/so it becomes like Your_Magento_Installation/app/design/frontend/default/new_theme
- Copy entire skin folder of your new theme under Your_Magento_Installation /skin/frontend/default/so it becomes like Your_Magento_Installation/ skin/frontend/default/ new_theme
- Now, as you have added your newly downloaded theme in your Magento store you need to login to your Magento store admin.
- Sometimes Magento Cache doesn’t let you see your changes instantly. In order to test your new theme it would be wise to disable cache for the time being. Go to System > Cache Managementand select “Disable” then click “Save Cache”. Once you are done with all the steps, Enable the cache again.
- Now go to System -> Configurationand select the Design Tab
- Type the name of your new theme which you have copied in your Magento installation in front of skin (Images/CSS) input box and click “Save Config”.
- Optional– If you have downloaded a widget ready Magento template then you need to install the widget provided with the theme. In order to install Magento theme widget you have to go to CMS -> Static Blocks and click on “Add New Block”. Based on your widget installation instructions you have to add your new widget and activate that using this new widget block. Finally select “Enabled” and click “Save Block”. Go and select “Custom Design” Tab and in Layout select “Homepage” otherwise your widget won’t show on home page.
- Optional– Home page of default Magento store is a CMS block so you have to provide custom code there in order to display something on home page. To do so you have to go to CMS- > Manage Pages and select “Home page” and in the content area type the home page content code which comes up with your new theme. You can change this area anytime you want.